Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Honeymoon Recap!: Part II

Our Honey moon Part II

Considering how hectic the days leading up to the wedding were, I felt that Nate and I had made a wise decision to make the focus of our honeymoon “relaxation”. In fact, as we made the 5 hour drive from Charleston to St. Simon’s Island the morning following the wedding, relaxation was our to priority.

After winding our way down the Georgia coast, and seeing more than our fair share of roadside fruit stands, spindly pine trees and miles and miles of flat landed blacktop, we drove over the bridge headed to the island. I rolled down my windows to take in the salty breeze, and instantly felt the weariness of the wedding stress begin to ease. I grew up not very far from St. Simons, and had made many trips to it over the years before my family made the move to the big city of Atlanta. So in a way, it felt like a homecoming.

After driving down the main track of the island, past the handful of T-shirt stores and the whimsical downtown area that hasn’t changed a smidge over the years, we found the realtors office easily and grabbed our keys and info packet to the condo out of the night deposit box (the building used to be a bank, I found that humerous at the time, as we coasted through the drive through).  Five minutes later we unlocked the front door to the condo and begin the process of unloading the gigantic pile of wedding gifts, wedding décor, and suitcases from my busting-at-the-seams Honda. Thank God the condo had an elevator, this place was four stories tall!

We took the obligatory tour of the condo, then when our grumbling stomachs could wait nor more, we drove the mile back to the downtown area and grabbed a bite to eat at one of the local joints, Iguanas. Think Jimmy Buffet meets Flo’s diner.

We both had the shrimp po boy, which was delicious and oh so fresh.

And when the waitress found out we were on our honeymoon, this is the adorable drawing we had waiting on our bill.  

Couldn’t she have just comped us our meals instead? I’m kidding, really. . . I actually saved the receipt because I thought it was so sweet.

We stuffed ourselves on fresh shrimp, then headed down to the pier to catch the sunset. 

When the air became too cool to be hanging out on the pier, we drove back to the condo and had a great time opening all of our gifts from the wedding. We took turns opening, while the other recorded the gift and the sender on my mac. 

It was so much fun seeing what people had given us, and felt like our first “official” married couple moment. Sounds weird right? I know.

Day two of the honeymoon included sleeping in ridiculously late (We slept, and slept and slept some more) then hunting down the only coffee shop downtown. Yeah, we were “that” couple. Typing away on our macs on the first full day of our honeymoon, muching on our scones, getting our caffeine fix, and pouring over the pics that people were already posting from the wedding. We knew we couldn’t spend all day at the shop (we would have on any other trip) so we packed up our macs and drove down to the closest beach access. We spent the rest of the afternoon taking a walk on the beach followed by a stroll downtown to peek in the shops full of chotchkies and all those beach items that every merchant feels the need to fill their shelves with.  That is seriously all our lazy selves did that day. Relaxation was the name of the game, remember?

{Lots of gratuitous feet pics, we were in a foot mode that day, apparently}

For dinner we headed to my favorite restaurant on the island, the Crab Trap. 

Nate went all caveman on the crab legs, while I opted for the less labor intensive fried shrimp and crab cakes. I don’t remember the last time I ate that much, it was soooo good! If you ever venture to St. Simon’s, make it a point to visit this place.

Day three was beach day! And the genius (yours truly) suddenly got it in her head that she was Snookie and half Italian and could lay out all day with only SPF 12 TANNING LOTION on. That was the dumbest decision I have made in a long time. The second dumbest decision I have made in a long time was to turn my chair so that the right half of my body was getting all the rays, and the left was getting none. What?! I wanted to view the waves, not the fat guy sunning himself down the beach.

At least Nate was the smart one and actually applied sunscreen with a decent SPF. 

Too bad he used the spray bottle and didn’t read the part that said to RUB IT IN. so by the end of the day you had lobster girl (on the right side only, ughh) and splotchy boy.

Lobster girl and splotchy boy made their way to CVS for the third time so far on the honeymoon (trips one and two? Oh, I’ll tell you all about that during the wedding recaps, it will all become clear) and bought the store out of their Aloe supply. Once completely coated in the sticky gel, we spent the rest of the night watching reruns on TV and cursing our fair-skinned selves.

And because I can’t be concise to save my life, which has resulted in this post becoming a full blown essay, there will be a honeymoon recap part III to tell you about the last leg of the trip!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love that drawing on your receipt! Too cute...I would have saved it as well!