Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Comforting Thought

I was sitting on the couch this evening, drinking my first cup of hot cocoa of the season (yes I know it's still September, but this is how much I love hot cocoa) when I started thinking about why it is that I love this steaming mug of chocolate so much. Yes, the huge pile of marshmallows that I loaded on top certainly added to the experience, and the fact that I'm drinking CHOCOLATE should be a dead give away as to why I love it, but there was something more.

Hot chocolate is a comfort thing, just like a warm fuzzy blanket, a roaring fireplace, the smell of fresh baked cookies, and the flicker of a candle. It makes you feel safe, blissful, and gives peace of mind. But comfort is so much more . . .

Comfort is knowing that someone will be there for you through thick and thin.

Comfort is knowing that someone is there to dry your tears when you're sad and make you laugh till the tears flow for an entirely different reason.

Comfort is being wrapped in a hug so special that you feel like you have just come home.

Comfort is waking up to someone and saying a silent thank you that the love you share was, in fact, not just a dream.

Comfort is being able to have an entire conversation with someone, without ever uttering a word.

Comfort is being able to be a complete goof around someone, and they will be the ball.

Comfort is imagining your life 40, 50, 60 years from now, when the wrinkles run deep with a life well lived, your hair is variant shades of grey and it takes you a little longer in the morning to get the "kinks" worked out of your joints. Imagine yourself then, and then realize that the person who promised to stand by you decades ago, is sitting in the rocking chair right next to you, their eyes, framed with wrinkles to match your own, are filled with more love and devotion to you than ever before.

I look forward to our wedding for so many reasons. The joy of the day and the time spent with family and friends, the beautiful flowers, and probably the most amazing dress I will ever wear.

Beyond all these things, however, there is the realization that I am saying "I do" and "I will" to my best friend and the one who knows me more than I know myself. We are making a commitment to be there for each other for whatever life throws our way. I will never have to look back and wonder if there is someone there to support me if I stumble.

As I finish the remains of my chocolate treat, long cold as I always take too long to drink it, I think about what our marriage will be like and I smile, because I know it will be an even better version of the love we share right now. More real, more lasting, more powerful. "Us" will still be "Us" in 50 years,  just add wrinkles and wisdom.

Source


What a comforting thought. . .

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are enjoying the marshmellows I left behind with the iPlague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post :) Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete